Saturday, November 12, 2005

Tonight I had the honor of listening to the Dalai Lama deliver an address to 8,000 assembled scientists at the 35th annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience. I frantically took notes in the margins of my program, so I apologize in advance if this entry is a little disjointed...both my transcription skills and my handwriting left much to be desired.

The very notion of a religious leader giving the opening remarks at a scientific conference is surprising, particularly for those of us who have lived under the increasingly anti-science theocratic shadow spreading across the United States. It was an amazing experience to see scientists lining up for 2 hours to listen to the words of a holy man. It was even more amazing to hear a be-robed monk describe quarks as "awesome."

Of course, the Dalai Lama is unlike any religious leader I've encountered before, and his religion shares little in common with the religious faith most of us encounter in daily American life. For one thing, he opened his address with an explanation of how skepticism is considered a fundamental part of his religion, and how students are expected to read Buddhist teachings--including the words of Buddha himself--with a critical mind. He explained that members of his Buddhist discipline recognize that many of the great Buddhist teachers wrote hundreds or thousands of years ago and did not have access to the knowledge we have today, and, while this does not mean we should disregard all their work, we must be willing to sort out which teachings are still relevant to us and which are not compatible with the knowledge we have today.

The Dalai Lama's humor and gregariousness is also a dramatic contrast to the most visible spiritual leaders in America. For example, while he enjoys tinkering with mechanical devices, he ruefully stated that when it comes to computers, "I'm hopeless." When a scientist asked how the Dalai Lama would feel if there was some surgical way to bring about the mental state currently achieved through meditation, he chuckled, "If you can create a surgery to remove all the negative emotions and attachment from the brain, then I will be the first patient! I spend several hours each day trying to do this, and it is quite tiring."

On the subject of ethics, the Dalai Lama once again demonstrated how different his religious beliefs are from the Judeo-Christian system most Americans follow. He explained that love, kindness, honor, respect, and compassion are all "fundamental human values." Religion does not create these values, and we do not need religion to live according to these values, although religion--when used correctly, he stressed--can help enhance our understanding of these values or our ability to live according to them. He added that man-made problems and strife are the result of "an unrealistic approach" on our part, and the unrealistic approach is due to our lack of knowledge. If we want to reach peace, prosperity, and individual happiness, then we must develop a realistic approach by increasing our understanding of the world. Certainly this attitude is a far cry from the "pray harder, dammit!" methodology of the American faithful.

There was a question and answer session at the end of the event, in which the Dalai Lama cheerfully welcomed his audience to give him the kind of grilling that I have nightmares about. First up was a person who asked how the Buddhist value of compassion for living things could be reconciled with the use of animals in research. The Dalai Lama's reply was an echo of the very system of ethics that modern science has built over many decades, with emphasis on minimizing both the use of animals and the suffering experienced by the animals. He said that one must understand and appreciate the sacrifice that is being asked of the animal, and that one must only ask this sacrifice when it will contribute meaningfully to the betterment of life. He added that this topic has arisen among non-vegetarian Buddhists as well, but was quick to specify that the most common Buddhist solution (chanting Om Mani Padme Hum over the animal) would not be appropriate for a scientific setting.

Another interesting question posed by an audience member was, "What do you think is the best way to deal with drug abuse, in terms of how it impacts our consciousness?" The Dalai Lama replied, "I don't like the word 'best.' What is it? 'Easiest'? 'Fastest'? 'Cheapest'? There is not this 'best.' You should treat this issue case by case. There is not a general answer."

The last question of the night was a perfect closer, because it so perfectly exemplified why the Dalai Lama is a groovy fellow. The question was, "If you were to become a neuroscientist today, what would your PhD thesis topic be?" Though he had just finished fielding some of the toughest ethical questions in science, and had done so with apparent ease, to this last question the Lama laughed and joked, "I will need a few more days to think about that one!"

11 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it so heartening that such a comfirmed (no pun intended) and die-hard atheist such as yourself can see the beauty in the words of a man so immersed in his own spirituality. Reading this made me smile. A lot.

See? Even us spiritual people aren't total science-excluding wackos. Even my father *hearts* quantum physics and Mandelbrot's fractals *much love*

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an honor and experience. I'm very jealous (which is to say I covet your experience, being wrapped up in the maya illusion of the world), and absolutely baffled that you wrote this before your most recent post. There being no more positive evidence for reincarnation than for the natural emergence from nothing of a universe governed by the principle of conservation of energy, how do you differentiate this man's beliefs from the fairy tales of the rest of us? I could introduce you to some awfully charming, humble and articulate Christians. In fact you know some.

On another note, do you think that PC thinking impedes science too? After the Larry Summers pile on there can be no discussion or exploration of male/female brain differences that aren't predetermined to conclude that women are equal or superior in every way, and just as the new 'conservatives' oppose a vaccine for cervical cancer on the grounds that it means acknowledging that some girls might some day have sex, there were an awful lot of complaints about heart medication designed specifically for blacks on account of some wierd belief that acknowledging that the current medications had a lower success rate among blacks than white would give some kind of footing to racism.

Citizen F, if you're reading this I have not forgotten and am not purposefully neglecting our discussion. I think I will have time for them tomorrow or Thursday if you have responded since my last posts. JF, same goes.

 
At 4:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Sarah, any "spirituality" that centers on acheiving real understanding of the empirical world is one that I can totally get behind. I myself feel awe, joy, honor, and wonder as I experience this world, and if somebody wants to classify those feelings as "spiritual" then I guess it's just a matter of semantics.

Aleks, I don't differentiate the superstitious beliefs of Buddhism from the superstitious beliefs of any other religion, since superstition is superstition no matter what kind of robe you're wearing. However, the Buddhists do not follow the supposed laws of a God, and right there they've got a major lead on the Christians...their teacher is someone they can (indeed, MUST) question, criticize, and evaluate. Their philosphy is founded upon balance between subjective feelings and experiences and the objective empirical reality they inhabit, acknowledging that our experience of the world contributes hugely to how we move through it but still admitting that wishful thinking will not automatically shape reality for us.

Buddhism has its flaws, not the least of which is the entrenched sexism, and I'm not about to ignore those flaws because of one really awesome speech. However, I am more than willing to admit that I am impressed at the self-aware, intellectually responsible, and morally just manner in which their "spirituality" guides them.

As for "PC" in science, I don't think it's an issue for the actual scientists. It's just an issue for the laypeople (is that a word?) writing newspaper articles on the science. Hell, just yesterday I was at SFN and I saw at least three posters specifically evaluating brain differences between men and women, and none of them shied from saying flat out if one cohort performed better on a given task.

The problem is that laypeople love to take one scientific finding (i.e. "Males are better able to rotate a three-dimensional figure in their head") and expand it to a grossly inaccurate generalization ("Men have better spacial skills, can build better stuff, can drive better, and should rule the world"). They do this in both directions, and they do it with racial issues, too. There are plenty of cases where the SAME SET OF DATA is used to "prove" that women are superior to men and also that men are superior to women.

 
At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should add that, while the Dalai Lama's personality is certainly charming, it's not his personality that I admire most. It doesn't matter how many "charming, humble, articulate" Christians there are, any more than it matters that there are charming, humble, articulate racists...their superstitious beliefs are still embarassingly wrond-headed.

Now, that doesn't mean THEY are all bad. Superstitious people, just like racist people, have contributed wonderful things across human history. It's perfectly possible for a person to be creative, brilliant, charming, and otherwise-wonderful, but to have a huge blindspot wherein they are an utter shmuck.

 
At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and one more thing...

I'm NOT an atheist. A atheist, as per the traditional definition, is a person who believes there is no God. I am agnostic, which means I believe it is not possible for me to know whether or not there is a God. This is a critical difference, believe it or not, and one that gets atheists just as pissed off at me as theists.

Of course, just as I cannot know or prove the existence of God, I cannot know or disprove the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, The Invisible Pink Unicorn, or Ed The Psychotic World-Building Leprechaun. Thus the practical expression of agnosticism generally resembles atheism, so I don't mind when people apply that label to me. I just feel it's important to clarify when having discussions on the subject, because there are some major underlying differences in how I reach my conclusions and how an atheist may do so.

There's also a very annoying debate about "strong atheism" versus "weak atheism," and where agnosticism fits in, but I think those are retarded terms to be using any how.

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some atheists and agnostics like to pretend they have no religion. What they might forget is that "no religion" is their religion. That might be why they feel they are alone when they are just one religion among thousands.

By the way, why marginalize theism. I have as much evidence of the existence of Jesus Christ as I do about the existence of the Roman Empire. I've never seen the Roman Empire, I've never touched the Roman Empire, but I know it existed. It is a fact to me, a reality. If I choose not to believe that that I have never seen for myself, I could never trust a map. Have maps been wrong? Yes. And when we find out we fix them. But for now, it's all I've got to go on, so I'll pick out the one I trust the most, based on everything I've seen, and I'll use it. Because if I didn't, I couldn't find anyplace.

CF

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CF, "religion" can refer to any belief that is held with deep conviction. In that respect, I deeply pity any person who is really living without religion.

However, to say that atheism or agnosticism themselves are religions is like saying that not collecting stamps is a hobby. Atheist and agnostics are not a religious denomination any more than all adults who do not believe in leprechauns are a religion. Indeed, the very fact that you lump atheists and agnostics together shows that you haven't even troubled yourself to learn the basics of those philosophical groups...a "strong" atheist, for instance, has more in common with a Christian than with an agnostic.

As for marginalizing theism, why do you marginalize leprechauns? Why do you marginalize the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Rhetorical questions, of course, because you don't "marginalize" belief in those things, you simply recognize that they are fictional creations of the human mind. That doesn't make them irrelevant, nor does it automatically rob them of power over human beings, but it does mean that they should be regarded in a different light than (for instance) Julius Caesar, the printing press, and do-do birds.

And, finally, if you believe that you've got as much evidence for Jesus Christ as you do for the Roman Empire, then I strongly recommend a return to high school. Not just for the history class, but also for a refresher on basic logic: just because you are personally ignorant of a given set of facts doesn't give your opinions additional weight.

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's where you set the record straight on nontheists and atheists. My apologies for getting it wrong on a later post which I happened to respond to first.

I do understand the difference between Atheism and Agnosticism, because I used to subscribe to the former and then the latter.

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to lump those to groups together. I didn't even want to lump every atheist or agnostic together because their exact belief systems are often so uniquely defined. That's why I said "some atheists and agnostics". "some" was added intentionally. With that out of the way, I'll say that I gave you know indication that I believe the Roman Empire might not have existed. I simply have no evidence of the existence of the Roman Empire other than what I have read in books, been taught by experts, and heard in stories. I choose to believe, based on the evidence I've heard, that the Roman Empire existed. But, since I can't read Latin, I can't carbon date artifacts, and I can't verify the authenticity or integrity of any information I receive, I have to draw my conclusions based on faith. If you can prove to me mathematically that the Roman Empire existed, I'll cede your point. If you can prove to me mathematically that Jesus couldn't have existed, then, too, I'll believe you. But all I know about each I read in books and heard in stories. I believe the Roman Empire existed and that the moon landing actually happened and that Clinton actually went to Oxford even though I never saw any of those things happen and I don't possess the ability to prove it myself. Do you see my point?

CF

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's kind of painful to say this but he does have a good point, and none the worse for having been used before.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the matter of taking things on authority I mean (and I'm not trying to imply that CF meant anything more). Obviously there's evidence conclusive enough to call proof of the Roman Empire, even more than there is for evolution, but still the majority of people have to take that on faith of our intellectual betters. I've never seen the Earth circle the Sun, it sure looks to me like it's the other way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home