Thursday, May 31, 2007

Today I did something extremely stupid.

First, some back-story.

When I got to work this morning I found that one of the eggs in our incubator had hatched during the night. The chick's feathers were still all wet and matted, so it probably hadn't been out of its shell for more than a couple hours.

I moved it into the hatchling incubator, gave it food and water, and put a green dot on its head with a magic marker so we'd be able to tell it apart from the chicks that will be hatching tomorrow. (We do this because the age of our embryos/hatchlings is extremely important to our research.)

I continued about my business in the room, getting ready for my experiments for the day. As I did, I noticed that the chick would begin to peep loudly whenever I moved out of view. After a few experimental rounds of peek-a-boo I determined that yes, the chick became agitated whenever I "left". Imprinting? Could be. Neat.

I stood there for a few minutes until it dropped off to sleep and then left to work on my first prep of the day.

Okay, now here comes the stupid part...

I returned to the incubator room a few hours later, and as I passed the hatchling incubator the chick sat up and peeped at me. I said, "Hi, Spot."

Fuck.

Fuckfuckfuck.

So now the chick is named "Spot." Goddammitall.

7 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is it really that bad? For example, the book Im reading right now has the name Vleezheesumuunuun. I cant imagine having to work with that name all the time. Yes, Spot is really a fairly practical name.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You have a pet!

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know how you feel. You know I worked on animals (species left unnamed to protect the innocent - and me) for my undergrad honors research. Well, only one got a name, just the color of the critter, but that lucky beast never made it to an experiment. And it hadn't peeped at me or imprinted....

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, and the first grandchild has arrived! Blonde, too, how sweet. Is it a boy or a girl?

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update:

Another chick hatched on Sunday, and it and Spot have had to be separated because Spot pecks the younger chick. Spot goes for the eyes and the toes. If Spot did indeed imprint upon me, this does not reflect well.

Spot's gender remains undetermined, since the only person in the lab who can identify chick sex (Mei) is currently in China.

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Aleks said...

I've always wondered how your obvious inherent mad-scientist tendencies would catastrophically emerge. Now we know.

Incidentally, when the Japanese Americans of California were kidnapped during WWII the chicken industry had trouble because all the chicken sexing experts were Japanese. So not only was internment a silly policy, it had real costs.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Aleks said...

I think this is pretty cute:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKsoXHYICqU .

However, it pales compared to Citzen F's earlier and sluttier music videos "Giuliani, Giuliani, Baby Don't You Want Me?" and "Rumsfeld: Going to Bed With The Lover You Have"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home