Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A few days ago I learned that two more of my college friends are engaged to be married (to each other). When their big day finally rolls around, it will mean that the majority of my close school friends are married rather than single.

I have baggage about marriage, I'll be the first to admit it. Marriage, in my culture, is a tradition that stands for a lot of things I don't like, and represents a lot of values I don't hold. The role of spouse is one that has never held the least attraction for me, particularly considering the gendered expectations and stereotypes that go along with that role.

On the other hand, my parents' marriage is a terrific example of exactly the kind of relationship I hope to have. They have shown me that while marriage as an institution may mean a lot of crappy things, your own marriage is whatever you and your partner make of it. I can dig that.

But, just for the record (since a couple people have asked me recently): No, we're not. No, we probably aren't going to be any time soon. Living in sin is working out great for us so far, and I'm not about to mess with a good thing.

6 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you even think of it in their terms? It's just a name for the public commitment you make to your partner. I'm pretty sure that this is the reason most homos want to have marriage, since God would hate them anyway.

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God loves homos, but I suspect He'd prefer they marry.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Living in sin has worked for me and Amy for the last six years--longer than my marriage lasted and infinitely happier. Guess where I stand?

Of course, recently there's been reason for us to rethink our position, and it's a shitty reason. My sister's husband has cancer, so we've been hit with our own mortality, and the possibility that if something happened to one of us, the other could be screwed when it came to making medical decisions for the other. That's especially important in my case since my parents are still JW's and could conceivably fuck things up for me. And man, would that be a shitty reason to decide to get married.

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, honestly I don't think that's a bad reason to get married, if the love and commitment are already there. You and Amy will always look out for eachother, right? Marriage is the state's way of acknowledging your devotion and trust.


Author, do you remember our disagreement with Citizen F about the credibility of his 'source of news', the World Net Daily? Enjoy: http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327

 
At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia's in all our thoughts kiddo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home